Sending routing setting
The Sending routing setting is one of multiple options on the "Email settings" page for managing mail routing and delivery. The Sending routing setting enables you to set up outbound and internal-sending delivery options, such as dual delivery and outbound mail gateway.
Similar to other email security settings, the Sending routing setting enables you set up policies that vary by organizational unit. Users within child organizational units inherit the settings you create for the parent organization. You also have the option to add multiple Sending routing settings to each organizational unit.
Note: Before you configure the Sending routing setting, you must first add mail routes with the Hosts tab.
Use cases for the Sending routing setting:
- Set up a smarthost (outbound mail gateway)—An outbound mail gateway is a server through which all mail passes that is sent from your domain. The gateway typically processes the mail in some way, such as archiving it or filtering out spam, before delivering the mail. When you use an outbound mail gateway, the Google Apps mail servers pass all outgoing mail from your domain to the gateway server.
- Route outbound mail to an external archiving server (dual delivery)—The Sending routing setting enables you to set up dual delivery by organizational unit for outbound mail traffic. You can configure the Sending routing setting to deliver mail to the intended recipients and to an external archiving server.
To configure Sending routing settings for your domain or organizational unit:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, go to Apps > Google Apps > Gmail > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section, highlight your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings (see Configure advanced settings for Gmail for more details).
- Scroll down to the Sending routing section:
- If the setting's status is Not configured yet, click Configure (the "Add setting" dialog box displays).
- If the setting's status is Locally applied or Inherited, click Edit to edit an existing setting (the "Edit setting" dialog box displays), or click Add another to add a new setting (the "Add setting" dialog box displays).
- When you're finished making changes, click Add setting or Save to close the dialog box.
Note: Any settings you add will be highlighted on the "Email settings" page.
- Click Save changes at the bottom of the page.
In the "Sending routing" window, click Add a description to enter a unique name for this setting. See the sections below for additional instructions and guidelines.