Receiving routing setting
The Receiving routing setting is one of multiple options on the "Email settings" page for managing mail routing and delivery. The Receiving routing setting enables you to set up inbound and internal-receiving delivery options, such as dual delivery and split delivery.
Similar to other email security settings, the Receiving routing setting enables you set up policies that vary by organizational unit. Users within child organizational units inherit the settings you create for the parent organization. You can also add multiple Receiving routing settings to each organizational unit.
Use cases for the Receiving routing setting:
- Route inbound mail to both Gmail and an external server (dual delivery)—With dual delivery, users receive their mail in two inboxes. For example, users can receive mail in both their legacy inbox (for example, Microsoft Exchange or an archiving server) and their Google Apps inbox. Incoming mail is delivered to Gmail (the primary delivery), which processes and delivers each message, and a copy is also forwarded to Exchange (the secondary delivery), which delivers it to the second box.
- Route inbound mail based on organizational unit (split delivery)—Use the Receiving routing setting to set up split delivery so that mail is routed to different mail hosts depending on the recipient's organizational unit. For example, you can set up one organizational unit to route inbound mail to the Microsoft Exchange mail host. For another organizational unit, you can use the default routing configuration (direct delivery) so that inbound mail is delivered directly to Gmail.
Note: For step-by-step instructions on the various use cases, see Managing mail routing and delivery: Guidelines and best practices. For step-by-step instructions on the Receiving routing setting, see the sections below.
To configure Receiving routing settings for your domain or organizational unit:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, go to Apps > Google Apps > Gmail > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section, highlight your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings (see Configure advanced settings for Gmail for more details).
- Scroll down to the Receiving routing section:
- If the setting's status is Not configured yet, click Configure (the "Add setting" dialog box displays).
- If the setting's status is Locally applied or Inherited, click Edit to edit an existing setting (the "Edit setting" dialog box displays), or click Add another to add a new setting (the "Add setting" dialog box displays).
- When you're finished making changes, click Add setting or Save to close the dialog box.
Note: Any settings you add will be highlighted on the "Email settings" page.
- Click Save changes at the bottom of the "Email settings" page.